My main focus is inter-institutional programme design but helping individuals is one of those things that happens. For everyone who needs to think through applying for a Masters degree, here is a collection of prompts:
- Why do you want an MSc/MA/M….? Possible reasons include: academic interest; want to be a professor; want to be a Chartered/Accredited …; want a job where the US company says you need a masters; want a visa somewhere; want to impress your Dad. There are plenty of other reasons and none of these is any better/worse than any others but it will help me refine the search.
- Have you a subject in mind already for a thesis or are you reasonably comfortable with the idea of the university giving some direction about the type of thesis you should do?
- Is it possible for you to do residentials at weekends or a week at a time?
- Is there any country you travel to a lot? (I’m thinking that some great universities have campuses in a range of countries.)
- Can you charge the company for the degree or is it your own money?
- Any constraints on start/finish?
When you have thought through these questions, be aware that when you telephone universities for information, it is quite normal (!!) to find absolutely no-one at the end of the phone. Leave a message and hope – and/or email and hope.
Always glad to hear.